First Muslim Mayor of London: Sadikh Khan [ Current News (Concise) ]
New Mayor of London is Sadiq Khan of the British Labour party with comfortably outrunning of his nearest rival. With this appointment Mr. Khan became first Muslim mayor of London. His victory also marks the reoccurrence of Labour Party rule in the British capital after eight years of Conservatives in power.
- Mr. Khan won 44 per cent votes in the first preference votes to Conservative Zac Goldsmith’s 35 per cent in the elections.
- Whereas he crossed 50 per cent threshold in the second preference votes, to get elected.
About Sadiq Khan
- Sadiq Aman Khan was born on 8th October 1970 at Tooting, London in working-class British Pakistani family.
- He had served as Member of Parliament (MP) for Tooting since 2005.
- He is located on the party’s soft left and has been ideologically characterized as a social democrat.
- He had completed his Law from the University of North London.
- He consequently worked as a solicitor specializing in human rights, and chaired Liberty for three years.
- From 1994 to 2006 Khan has served as a Councilor for the London Borough of Wands worth before he was elected as MP for Tooting in 2005.
- He was appointed Minister of State for Communities in 2008 under the Labour government of Prime Minister Gordon Brown and later served as Minister of State for Communication.
- Published/Last Modified on: May 9, 2016