First Pakistan Province to Adopt Hindu Marriage Bill is Sindh [ Current News (Concise) ]
The first Pakistan province to adopt landmark Hindu Marriage Bill, 2015 is Sindh which allow the minority community to register their marriages. ins formation of Pakistan in 1947 this is for the first such a law is being passed to safeguard rights of Hindus, a second largest religious minority community in the country.
Key provisions of Law:
- According to the law minimum age of marriage is fixed at 18 years.
- Under the law it is necessary to formalized marriage after consent of both female and male in the presence of at least two witnesses and registration of the marriage.
- Every marriage will be registered within 45 days of the formalization and with the ward/union council as per the law.
- For the validation and registration of the marriage prior to its enactment this law provides surveying effect.
- If in any case anyone fails to get marriage registered after formalization will be liable to pay a fine of Rs. 1, 000 (Pakistani).
- Minority of Hindus population (3.3 million) in Pakistan has demanded for separate personal law to regulate their marriages from the long time.
- And due to lack of a Hindu Marriage law the community especially women was faced a huge burden to get national identity cards, marriage certificates and share in property.
- Published on: February 18, 2016