First Water Metro Project in the India Launched by Kerala Government [ Current News (Concise) ]
Water Metro project launched by Kerala Government in Kochi. This is the first ever Water Metro project in the India. This project was launched by Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan at Kochi.
Purpose of the project:
- Project purposes is to provide water connectivity to people living between islands in the Kochi group area and the city.
- Kochi Water Metro project is an united water transport project developed as feeder service to the Kochi Metro Rail.
- Project will become operational in two years and it will implemented by the Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL).
- Project will be constructed at an estimated cost of 747 crore Rupees.
- Project will be implemented by the Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL) and funded by German Development Bank (Kfw).
- In this regard KMRL has signed agreement with Kfw.
- Project includes construction of jetties, roads and other basic facilities apart from boat services.
- Water Metro will connect the islands spread in Kochi backwaters to main city.
- It would make modern and harmless urban water transport network in the city.
- Published on: July 25, 2016