For Swachh Bharat Mission$1.5 billion loan has been offered by World Bank [ Current News (Concise) ]
In order to support the Union government’s flagship cleanliness drive Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) World Bank has approved a 1.5 billion dollars loan. For SBM Support Operation Project and support of SBM’s rural component known as SBM-Gramin (SBM-G) this fund will be used.
The loan has 18 years limits with including a grace period of 5 years.
- The main objective of government behind this project is to SBM Support Operation Project aims at establishment the implementation of the SBM initiative of the government.
- With a new performance-based program these project will support SBM-Gramin over a 5 year period.
- Two important mechanisms of this project are incentivizing good performance by states and the focus on behavioral changes.
- For supervision and organizing role for the programme and support the participating states nodal agency Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation (MDWS) is acquired.
- The most of the amount from loan funds will be used to develop the capacity of MDWS in program management, advocacy, monitoring and evaluation.
About Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM):
- It is a national campaign launched on 2nd October 2014 by Government of India which includes 4, 041 cities and towns.
- Objective if this campaign is to clean streets, roads and infrastructure of country and provide sufficient access of toilet or latrine for all citizens
- It mainly focuses on changing behavior of citizens in ending the practice of open defecation by 2019.
- Published/Last Modified on: December 17, 2015