Former Bihar, Kerala Governor R.S. Gavai is no more [ Current News (Concise) ]
R. S. Gavai passed away after a long illness in the private hospital in Nagpur, Maharashtra at age 86. About R. S. Gavai: Ramakrishna Suryabhan Gavai was born on 30 October 1929 in Darapur of Amravati. He was an Indian politician and Governor of Bihar from 2006 to 2008. He was also Governor of Kerala from 10 July 2008 to 25 August 2011.
- From 1964 to 1994, he was a member of the Maharashtra Legislative Council.
- During this time, he was Deputy Chairman of the Legislative Council from 1968 to 1978, Chairman from 1978 to 1984, and Leader of the Opposition of the Legislative Council from 1986 to 1988.
- In 1998, Gavai was elected at the 12th Lok Sabha from Amravati. He was member of Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra State from April 2000 till April 2006.
- In June 2006 he became Governor of Bihar. He was the temporary Governor of Sikkim from 13 July 2006 to 12 August 2006. On June 26, 2008, Gavai was instead appointed as Governor of Kerala, switching posts with Kerala Governor R. L. Bhatia. He was sworn in as Governor of Kerala on July 10, 2008.
- He was also President of Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Smarak Samiti, Deeksha Bhoomi, Nagpur and Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Shikshan Prasarak Mandal, Amravati.
- Gavai received the Kusta Mitra Award.
- He also received the National Integration awards for peace and harmony.
- Published/Last Modified on: July 29, 2015