Former Union Minister Sheila Kaul passed away [ Current News (Concise) ]
Sheila Kaul who was former Himachal Pradesh governor and ex-union minister passed away in New Delhi at the age 101. Sheila Kaul was a sister-in-law of India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi’s maternal aunt.
- In 1971, Sheila Kaul was elected as Member of Parliament to Lok Sabha five times and she was elected as member of Parliament to Lok Sabha in 1980 and 1984 from Lucknow and in 1989, 1991 (from Rae Bareli).
- During 1980–84, Sheila Kaul had served as Minister of State (MoS) for Culture, Education and Social Welfare (Independent Charge) in Indira Gandhi Government.
- Sheila Kaul had served as Governor of Himachal Pradesh from 1995 to 1996 and she had served as Union Minister for Housing and Urban Development from 1991 to 1995.
- Sheila Kaul was also an educationist, social worker, social reformer and an independence activist in British India from Uttar Pradesh.
- Published/Last Modified on: June 23, 2015