Fortune released 61st edition of list of top 500 companies [ Current News (Concise) ]
Fortune released the 61st edition of list of top 500 companies for 12.5 trillion US dollar in revenues, 945 billion US dollar in profits and 17 trillion US dollar in market value and employs 26.8 million people worldwide. The revenue of the Fortune 500 companies in 2015 increased by 2.6 percent from 2014 but the total profits were down 12.6 percent to 945 billion US dollar.
- Retail behemoth Walmart retain first place in the top list with revenue of 485.6 billion US dollar. It was followed by Exxon Mobil, Chevron, Berkshire Hathaway and Apple at the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th position respectively.
- It should be noted that the top five of 2015 list remains unchanged as compared to the 2014 list.
- Microsoft, Google, IBM, Intel and Oracle are all placed in the top 20 in terms of profit; however, they are placed outside the top 20 in terms of revenue.
- In fortune list, new entrants to the list included emerging tech heavyweights Salesforce.com, Netflix and Expedia. Facebook saw the biggest jump in rankings from 341 to 242.
- Apple was the most profitable company with profit of 39.5 billion US dollars followed by Exxon Mobil (32.5 billion US dollars).
- Published on: June 8, 2015