Gianni Infantino Become New President of Fifa [ Current News (Concise) ]
New President of Federation International de Football Association (FIFA), a global governing body of football is Gianni Infantino (45) of Switzerland with 115 of the 207 eligible votes in the 2016 FIFA Extraordinary Congress held in Zurich, Switzerland. He has beaten Sheikh Salman of Bahrain who got 88 votes followed by Prince Ali of Jordan had four and Jerome Champagne of France got zero votes.
He had becomes just the third President of FIFA after Sepp Blatter who headed it for 40 years from 1974 to 2015 and his forerunner Joao Havelange.
About Gianni Infantino:
- He was born on 23rd March 1970 in Brig, Canton of Valais, and Switzerland.
- He has Swiss and Italian nationality.
- He was serving ad General Secretary of UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) since 2009 and was associated with it for past 15 years before he had selected as FIFA President.
- He had also worked as the Secretary General of the International Centre for Sports Studies (CIES) at the University of Neuchatel.
- He also had served as an adviser to a variety of football bodies in Italy, Spain and Switzerland.
About Federation International de Football Association (FIFA)
FIFA is a governing body of association football, futsal and beach football in English International Federation of Association Football.
It was established on 21st May 1904.
Its Headquarters is located at Zurich, Switzerland.
Currently 209 national associations are members of FIFA from six different regional confederations like:
- North & Central America and Caribbean,
- Oceania and
- South America.
Football’s major international tournaments and their promotion notably the World Cup and the Women’s World Cup are driven by FIFA. But FIFA does not control the rules of football
- Published on: February 29, 2016