Gopinath Pillai awarded ‘Outstanding Service Award’ for his services in Singapore [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
Indian-origin Gopinath Pillai was awarded ‘Outstanding Service Award’ for his services by the National University of Singapore (NUS). At present, Gopinath Pillai is serving as Ambassador-at-Large of Singapore and special envoy to Andhra Pradesh.
- Gopinath Pillai was born in Singapore to Indian parents and had spent eight years of his childhood in Kerala and he completed graduate from University of Malaya and holds degree of Bachelor of Arts (BA) in 1961.
- Gopinath Pillai had started his career as a journalist with Reuters. He also has worked in a number of fields including banking and currently is chairman of IT company Savant Infocomm and is Director of Gateway Distriparks Ltd in India.
- Pillai started diplomatic career in 1980s with an assignment with Singapore’s Parliamentary Committee on Defence and Foreign Affairs and he had served as the non-resident Ambassador to Iran from 1990 to 2008. Later, he had served as the Singapore High Commissioner to Pakistan.
- Pillai has significantly contributed to Singapore through his distinguished service as a diplomat for more than 25 years. He received Padma Shri in 2012 by the Government of India.
- Published/Last Modified on: April 27, 2015