Government Notifies AADHAR Act Giving Legal Shape to UIDAI [ Current News (Concise) ]
The Union Government has notified the Aadhar (Terms and Conditions of Service of Chairperson and Members) Rules, 2016 to give legal shape to Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
- As per provisions of Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016 these rules have been framed.
- These rules have detail provisions for appointment of its chairperson and members.
- Chairperson of the UDAI Will be selected on the recommendation of a top-level committee.
- This committee headed by the Cabinet Secretary.
- Secretaries of Department members include Personnel and Training, Finance and Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DEITY) and two experts.
- Union Communications and IT Minister nominated two experts.
- Chairperson will retract salary of the level of a Secretary.
- Above 102 crore persons in the country have unique identity numbers and Aadhaar card.
- The Aadhaar has been related to:
- Aadhaar Act will be notified in two phases for operationalisation of the Act.
- The chairperson and members are appointed after they will pass the regulations for notifying rest of the Act.
- Only Sections 11 to 20, 22 to 23 and sections 48 to 59 of the 2016 Aadhaar Act have been notified for operationalisation.
- Unique identification authority of India was regarded by the Planning Commission as an enterprise that would provide identification for each resident across the country.
- It will be used primarily as the basis for efficient delivery of welfare.
- It will act as a tool for effective monitoring of various programs and schemes of the Government.
- Published/Last Modified on: July 14, 2016