Government releases list of smart cities [ Current News (Concise) ]
About smart cities: Smart city uses digital technologies or information and communication technologies to improve quality and performance of urban services. It is also used to reduce costs and resource ingesting and to improve more effectively with its citizens.
About the release list of smart city:
- The government has released a list of 98 cities, including 24 state capitals, which are going to be developed as smart cities.
- Maximum numbers of to - be - developed smart cities are in UP, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.
- There are 13 cities are from UP, 12 from Tamil Nadu, 10 from Maharashtra, 7 from MP and 1 from Bihar and 1 from Andhra Pradesh are included in smart cities list.
- The government would select 24 cities that would be developed into smart cities in first year.
- The Union minister Venkaiah Naidu revealed the list of smart cities.
- The main reason behind the smart city development project is to improve urban life.
The government also released a list containing features of a smart city are:
- Promoting mixed land use in area - based developments.
- Housing and inclusiveness.
- Creating walkable localities.
- Preserving and developing open spaces.
- Promoting a variety of transport options.
- Making governance citizen - friendly and cost effective.
- Giving an identity to the city.
- Applying Smart Solutions to infrastructure and services.
- Published on: August 31, 2015