Gurdeep Singh appointed as CMD of NTPC [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Gurdeep Singh: Gurdeep Singh was was serving as the managing director (MD) of Gujarat State Electricity Company Limited (GESC). He had lead several key improvements during his contract at GESC. He works in innovative solar power programmes such as the solar power plant over the Sardar Sarovar canal.
- He had started his career at NTPC in 1987 and earlier had worked with Calcutta Electric Supply Corporation, IDFC Projects and Power generation in different capacities.
About his appointment as CMD:
- Gurdeep Singh has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Limited.
- He was appointed by Appointments Committee of the Cabinet which is headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- He became the first person to be appointed at the top job at a Maharatna company.
About National Thermal Power Corporation Limited:
- NTPC limited is a Central Public Sector Undertaking under the Union Ministry of Power of India.
- It is involved in the business of generation of electricity and allied activities.
- It’s headquarter is in New Delhi and it was established in 1975 by Union Government.
- It is India’s largest power producer company, which generates 25 percent of total electricity in the country.
- Published/Last Modified on: February 1, 2016