Gurpreet Singh Sandhu Makes History Again, Becomes First Indian to Feature in Europa League [ Current News (Concise) ]
Gurpreet Singh Sandhu makes history again, becomes first Indian to feature in Europa League. Indian goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu was named in Norwegian club Stabaek FC’s squad for their Europa League qualifying match against Welsh Premier League side Connah’s Quay Nomads FC, making him the first from the country to play in the continental competition.
- When sandhu became the first Indian to start a first team matches in a top-division league of Europe, he has signed for Stabaek in 2014, made headlines in May. In that match against IK Start in the Norwegian Tippeligaen.
- Sandhu kept a clean sheet in a 5 - 0 beyond victory. Then he returned back home to play in goal for India’s thumping victory over Laos.
- The keeper featured in the premier European club competition in Rhyl, Wales on Thursday evening. His Europa League debut however, was marred by injury as he was substituted after 27 minutes when he injured his hand.
- “When you’re a goalkeeper at a better place (club), you need to be patient. I trust the coaches and I realize that it took me a few months to get ready. I’ve been played at the right time to be honest.
- “You have to wait, or else you’ll never go up,” Gurpreet had told First post in an interview in April 2015.
- Since, Stephen Constantine took over in 2015. Sandhu has been the number one goalkeeper in the Indian team, with the English coach preferring him over veteran Subrata Paul.
- His patience and hard work paid off, and start in Europa League qualifying match is just stepping stone for his growth.
- Gurpreet also grips the distinction of being the only Indian footballer to play for the first team in a top-division league of Europe.
- Published on: July 4, 2016