HRD Minister Smriti Irani initiates permanent campus of IISER in Thiruvananthapuram [ Current News (Concise) ]
About IISER: IISER stands for Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research. It is a group of most leading science education and research institutes in India. These institutions have been declared asinstitutions of national importance by Act of Parliament.
- The institutes were created by the Government of India through theMinistry of Human Resource Development under The National Institutes of Technology Bill, 2010 which was passed by the Rajya Sabha on 30th April 2012.
There are six IISERs have been established across the country which are:
- IISER Kolkatain West Bengal,
- IISER Punein Maharashtra,
- IISER Mohaliin Punjab,
- IISER Bhopalin Madhya Pradesh,
- IISER Thiruvananthapuramin Kerala and
- IISER Tirupatiin Andhra Pradesh.
Two new IISERs have been announced in the 2015 Budget from which one atBrahmapur of Odisha and other one in Nagaland.
The financial expense for each IISER is around Rs. 5 billion for the first five years.
About the initiation of permanent campus at Thiruvananthapuram:
- Union Government has initiates the first stage of permanent campus of the Indian Institute of Science Education & Research at Vithura in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- It was initiated by Union Human Resources Development Minister Smriti Irani in presence of Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
- The IISER Thiruvananthapuram is devoted to scientific research and science education of international standards.
- Published on: January 18, 2016