‘Housing for all’ Scheme in 305 cities by 2022 declares the government [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Housing for all Scheme: Government had launched this scheme named as Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana in June 2015 under the guidance of Housing for All by 2022 Mission. Under this scheme, government plans to build two crore houses for the poor in urban areas by year 2022, which coincides with 75 years of Independence.
- It has four basic components that include slum restoration, reasonable housing, credit linked interest funding and beneficiary - led individual house construction or development.
About this Schemes implementation:
- 305 cities were identified by Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation (HUPA) for beginning of construction of houses for the urban poor under this scheme.
- Additionally, HUPA Ministry will provide assistance of over 2 lakh crore rupees over the next six years for construction of houses to enable two crore urban poor own their own houses.
- The list of selected cities and towns are in these states which include Chhattisgarh (36 cities and towns), Gujarat (30), Jammu and Kashmir (19), Jharkhand (15), Kerala (15), Madhya Pradesh (74), Odisha (42), Rajasthan (40) and Telangana (34).
- These 9 states along with other 6 more states have signed Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) with HUPA Ministry for their commitment to implement 6 obligatory reforms essential for making the housing for all mission successful in urban areas.
- 15 states which have agreed to implement the obligatory reform are Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, Manipur, Nagaland, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Jammu and Kashmir, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Mizoram, Odisha, Telangana, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand.
- Published on: September 18, 2015