INS Kavaratti, anti-submarine warfare ship launched in Kolkata [ Current News (Concise) ]
Indian Navy’s latest anti-submarine; INS Kavaratti warfare class stealth corvette was launched in Kolkata at presence of defence ministry Manohar Parrikar. Kavaratti is the last of the four anti-submarine warfare class stealth corvettes being built for India under Project 28. These are are INS Kamrota, Kadmatt and Kiltan. INS Kamrota was delivered and commissioned in the Indian navy in 2014.
- Weight of INS Kavaratti is 3,300-tonne and length of this warfare is 109.1 metres and measures 13.7-m at beam.
- INS Kavaratti design based on domestic manufacturing for the Indian Naval forces and it is 90 percent indigenous. INS Kadmatt and Kitan are expected to be delivered between 2015 and 2017.
- INS Kadmatt has a Total Atmospheric Control System (TACS) making it capable fight in nuclear, chemical and biological warfare conditions and it has an endurance of more than 3,400 nautical miles.
- INS Kavaratti warfare designed by the Directorate of Naval Design and built by Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers (GRSE) under Project-28.
- Published/Last Modified on: May 25, 2015