Important Topics on Environmental Protection - Expected Questions for 2017 (Download PDF)

Doorsteptutor material for CLAT is prepared by world's top subject experts: fully solved questions with step-by-step explanation- practice your way to success.

We will be covering the important questions and topics for competitive examinations for 2017 related to environment, biodiversity, ecosystem and related policies. As per video tutorials and lectures at Youtube@Examrace

Expected Questions on Environment and Biodiversity Part 1

Carbon Sequestration

  • Carbon Sequestration is the process by which CO2 is captured from the atmosphere for long term storage to slow down the accumulation of greenhouse gases
  • Gujarat Ecological Education and Research (GEER) has prepared a hierarchy of local trees in India on the basis of their capacity for carbon sequestration
  • Teak has the highest capacity: Absorb 3.70 lakh tones of CO2 from the atmosphere in its life-time
  • Fast Growing
  • Long Lived
  • Large Leaves
  • Native Species
  • Low Maintenance, Disease Resistant

Best ones:

  • Yellow Poplar
  • Silver Maple
  • Oak
  • Chestnut
  • Red Mulberry
Carbon Sequestration Options

Compensatory Afforestation Fund Bill

For: Establishment of funds under the public accounts of Centre and each State towards compensatory afforestation

Provides for: Additional afforestation and penal compensatory afforestation to regulate collected funds

Features:

  • Establish National Compensatory Afforestation Fund under the Public Account of India, and State Compensatory Afforestation Fund under Public Account of each state
  • Payments into the funds include compensatory afforestation, net present value of forest (NPV) , and any project specific payments
  • National Fund will get 10 % of funds collected and the remaining 90 % will go to Respective State Fund
  • Funds to bee used for afforestation, regeneration of forest ecosystem, wild life protection and forest related infrastructure development
  • Determination of NPV will be delegated to an expert committee constituted by the central government

National Hydrology Project

Aim: To collect hydro-meteorological data across India and use it for efficient water management in the country

Features:

  • In Situ Hydromet Monitoring System and Hydromet Data Acquisition System.
  • Setting up of National Water Informatics Centre (NWIC) .
  • Water Resources Operation and Management System
  • Water Resources Institutions and Capacity Building
  • Cover the entire country, unlike earlier hydrology projects that covered only 13 states
  • Funding pattern -50 % would come from World Bank loans while the rest would be given as budgetary support
Expected Questions on Environment and Biodiversity Part 2

- Published/Last Modified on: September 6, 2017

Environment/Ecology

Developed by: