In Food and Beverages Sector FSSAI Inks MoU with ASCI to Check Misleading Advertisements [ Current News (Concise) ]
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has inked a MoU with Advertising Standard Council of India (ASCI) to check misleading advertisements in the food and beverages sector.
The MoU was signed by FSSAI CEO Pawan Agarwal and ASCI chairman Benoy Roychoudhry.
Partnership between FSSAI and ASCI will put in place a mechanism to monitor misleading advertisements and lead to streamlining advertisements effectively through structured guidelines and appropriate action.
- As per part of the MoU, ASCI will comprehensively monitor and these advertisements across various media.
- The FSSAI has given a suo motu monitoring order to ASCI to process complaints against misleading advertisements of food and beverages.
- The non- compliance of its decisions for further action as required per provisions of the FSS Act when ASCI will report to FSSAI.
- The FSSAI will also redirect complaints against misleading food and beverages advertisements to ASCI, which will be reviewed using ASCI’s code and guidelines.
- In the review will include infringement of the FSS Act and regulations related to advertisements making unsubstantiated, misleading or wrong claims.
About Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) :
- In the advertising industry of India ASCI is a self-regulatory voluntary non-governmental organization (NGO)
- Purpose: To maintain and increase the public’s confidence in advertising.
- Headquarters: The headquarters of ASCI: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Established: The establishment of ASCI in 1985 by three main components of advertising industry like advertisers, advertising agencies and media.
- Published on: July 4, 2016