India Maintains Position as World’s Largest Arms Importer [ Current News (Concise) ]
India has maintained the world’s largest arms importer position with 14 % secretarial of the global arms imports in the 2011 - 2015 timeframe. This news is clear after report on international arms transfers released by a global think-tank, Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
Top arms importers are:
- India (14%),
- China (4.7%),
- Australia (3.6%),
- Pakistan (3.3%),
- Vietnam (2.9%) and
- South Korea (2.6%).
India’s arms imports:
- Arms import of India is three times greater than Pakistan and China.
- And Russia, United States (US), Israel and France are a biggest supplier it.
- This shows strong domestic defence-industrial base (DIB) and Indian arms industry of India, and failure of produce competitive indigenously-designed weapons.
- From last 15 years India has spent around 120 billion dollars on arms acquisitions and most of them are from foreign suppliers.
- Previously China was at the top on the imports chart in past decades because of its stronger DIB.
- After United States and Russia, China is at third position in world for arms exporter.
- For Chinese arms exports Pakistan is the main recipient with secretarial for 35 % of the total imports, Bangladesh has 20 % and Myanmar has 16%.
- Russia is China’s largest arms supplier with secretarial of 59%, France and Ukraine has 15 % and 14 % respectively.
- Published/Last Modified on: February 24, 2016