India and US singed new 10-year Defence Framework Agreement [ Current News (Concise) - Defense ]
India and United States (US) have inked a new strategically important 10-year defence framework agreement. This agreement was signed between Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and visiting US Defence Secretary Dr. Ashton Carter in New Delhi. According to the agreement, Pursue co-development and co-production projects that will offer tangible opportunities for American defence industries to build defence partnership with the Indian industries under Make in India programme.
The framework agreement provides avenues for high level strategic discussions between both nations along with continued exchanges of armed forces and strengthening of defence capabilities.
Apart from signing this agreement both nations also agreed to:
- Jointly develop protective gear for soldiers against biological and chemical warfare.
- Develop next generation power source i.e. generators for the battlefield.
- MoU on jet engines, aircraft carrier design and construction and other areas.
- Continue efforts to enhance bilateral cooperation in areas of mutual interest such as maritime security and knowledge partnership in the field of Defence.
- Published/Last Modified on: June 8, 2015