India home to 48 species of bumblebees [ Current News (Concise) ]
Indian Bumblebees book has released that India is home to 48 of the 250 known species of bumblebees. Indian Bumblebees book is written by entomologist M.S. Saini and co-authors Rifat H. Raina and Harpeet Singh Ghator.
- These are 48 species of bumblebees native to India and are the only pollinators of vegetation in high-altitude altitudes of 2,000-15,000 feet along the entire Himalayas from Jammu & Kashmir to Nagaland regions.
- Indian Bumblebees are social insects and live in colonies and the size of it depends on the species. Indian Bumblebees are similar to the honeybees.
- Bumblebees have yellow, black and reddish body hair and are often striped. It is also known as colony is the queen. She hibernates throughout winter and in spring finds a site for new nest. She then lays her eggs in autumn which will result in the first batch of workers.
- Indian Bumblebees pollinate fruit trees, vegetables, cash crops and even ornamental and medicinal plants high in the Himalayas.
- Bumblebees play an important role in the ecosystem and are crucial for pollination at higher altitudes. Thus without them seed setting and fruiting will not take place in many plants.
- Published/Last Modified on: May 7, 2015