India launched Operation Raahat to evacuate 4000 Indian nationals from Yemen [ Current News (Concise) ]
India launched Operation Raahat to evacuate 4000 Indian nationals from Yemen and India govt. launched Operation Raahat which is massive air and sea operation to protect Indian people. The operation will involve total of five ships and four aircraft and this Operation Raahat was stared on 1 April 2015.
- The 350 evacuated people belong to different states of India and they are Kerala (206), Tamil Nadu (40), Maharashtra (31), West Bengal (23), Delhi (22), Karnataka (15), and Andhra Pradesh/Telangana (13).
- VK Singh was retired Minister of State for External Affairs General who the complete rescue operation was overseen.
- 350 Indian nationals were evacuated from Aden to Djibouti by INS Sumitra. The nationals will be flown to India in two Air Force C-17 Globemasters.
- Beside INS Sumitra, two more Indian Navy Ships namely INS Mumbai and INS Tarkash have also sailed for Yemen to take part in Operation Raahat. Two merchant vessels namely, Kavaratti and Coral will also take part in the operation along with two 180-seater Airbus A320 planes.
- Houthi are followers of the Shia Zaidi sect and are officially known as Ansarallah (the supporter of God). In 1990, the group began as a movement to preach tolerance and peace in the Zaidi stronghold of North Yemen.
- Published on: April 3, 2015