India ranks 13th in generating electricity from nuclear source [ Current News (Concise) ]
India ranks at 13th position among the thirty one countries in the world which are generating electricity from nuclear source. India’s current installed nuclear power capacity is 5780 MW. It is expected to increase to 10080 MW by 2019 on progressive completion of projects.
- This information was given by Minister of State (MoS) Dr Jitendra Singh in written reply in the Rajya Sabha to an unstarred question.
- According to the report, the ranking was based upon the data published by Power Reactor Information System (PRIS) of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in 2014.
- Union Government also has accorded sanction for two more projects with a total capacity of 3400 MW.
- The total requirement of nuclear fuel i.e. natural uranium is over 5 five years is estimated to be around 5,940 tons.
- In future, India more nuclear power projects based both on indigenous technologies and with international cooperation is planned.
- Published/Last Modified on: May 1, 2015