India ranks 24th in Environmental Democracy Index 2015 [ Current News (Concise) ]
Environmental Democracy Index India has ranked 24th out of 70 countries in the first Environmental Democracy Index (EDI) 2015 which released by Washington-based World Resources Institute (WRI) and Access Initiative. In the first edition of Environmental Democracy Index (EDI) index, Lithuania has retained topped among the 70 countries.
- Top ten countries are- Lithuania, Latvia, Russia, United States, South Africa, United Kingdom, Hungary, Bulgaria, Panama and Colombia.
- EDI (Environmental Democracy Index) evaluates progress of countries in enacting laws in order to promote citizen engagement and accountability, transparency in environmental decision-making.
- Right to environmental information has been established in the 93 % of the assessed countries and 79 % of assessed countries have earned only fair or poor ratings for public participation.
- The index evaluates countries based on recognised international standards including 75 legal and 24 practice indicators.
- The countries assessed have legal mechanisms that help women to access courts in order to obtain redress only 14 percent when their environmental rights are violated.
- Published on: May 25, 2015