India signs agreement with Australia to extend mutual Defense Partnership [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Aim of Mutual defense Partnership: This mainly focuses on maritime security links in the Indian Ocean region and recognized the importance of freedom of maritime navigation. First - ever mutual Maritime exercise AUSINDEX between both countries is scheduled to be held in September 2015.
- Maritime security should remain a key component of the mutual defense relationship between both countries.
- India will take part in the first ever air exercise with Australia.
About the agreement:
- India and Australia have agreed to extend their mutual defense partnership based on their shared strategic interests by setting up of a joint working group on defense research and material cooperation.
- This decision was taken after the designation - level talks between Union Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar and Australian counterpart Kevin Andrews in New Delhi.
- Implement the action plan outlined in the Framework for Security Cooperation (FSC) which was agreed by Prime Ministers Narendra Modi and his counterpart Tony Abbott in November 2014.
- Published/Last Modified on: September 15, 2015