India will host 2nd Forum for Indian-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC) [ Current News (Concise) ]
About FIPIC: The Pacific Islands Forum is an inter-governmental organization. It aims to increase cooperation between the self-governing countries of the Pacific Ocean. It was founded in 1971 as the South Pacific Forum .
- The name was changed in 1999 as Pacific Island forum.
- Pacific Islands Forum is more inclusive of the Forum’s Oceania-spanning membership of both north and south Pacific island countries, including Australia.
- It is an official observer at the United Nations.
- The work of Pacific Islands Forum is to work in support of Forum member governments, to increase the economic and social well-being of the people of the South Pacific by raising cooperation between governments and between international agencies.
About 2nd forum:
- India will host second edition meeting of Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC) on 21 August 2015 in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- The meeting will be attended by the heads of 14 island nations from Indo-Pacific oceanic region.
- It will be India’s first step towards greater engagement with the region, which is important from geostrategic and economic perspective.
- It will also help the counter to measure the growing Chinese effect in this oceanic region.
- It will include areas such as agriculture, fisheries, food processing, solar energy, e-networks for coordination in tele-education and tele-medicine.
- Published/Last Modified on: August 3, 2015