Indian Ministry of Railways to Install TRI-NETRA to Reduce Train Accidents [ Current News (Concise) ]
Indian Ministry of Railways has launch the Terrain Imaging for Diesel Drivers- Infrared Enhanced Optical and Radar Assisted (Tri-NETRA) system to reduce train accidents. TRI-NETRA will be installed on locomotives for improving the vision of Locomotive Pilots in inclement situation.
- The device uses radar and infrared technology to gather signals up to a distance of 2 - 3 km.
- It displays the information like composite video image on a screen fitted inside the locomotive.
- Tri-Netra will alert the drivers of any physical obstacle on railway tracks forward.
- It gives full time for the driver to apply the brakes to avoid train accidents.
- This system will be very helpful during heavy rain and nights, fog and when drivers have to constantly look outside the locomotive to judge the condition.
Components of the system:
- TRI-NETRA system has three components.
- This system is made of this components:
- These three components are three eyes of Tri-Netra of the Locomotive Pilot.
- TRI-NETRA concept was developed by Development Cell under the guidance of Member Mechanical, Railway Board.
- System Specifications and design of critical components will be approved by the Research Designs & Standards Organisation.
- This system is based on technology employed by fighter aircrafts to see through clouds and activate in pitch darkness.
- System also based on technology used by naval ships in mapping the ocean floor and directing in the night.
- Published/Last Modified on: July 19, 2016