Indian Navy’S Marine Commandos’ Unit INS Karna Commissioned [ Current News (Concise) ]
Indian Navy has commissioned Marine Commandos (MARCOS) base INS Karna at Bheemunipatanam Naval Base, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba commissioned INS Karna at the commissioning ceremony at Bheemunipatanam Naval Base.
- The establishment of the first base for Indian Navy’s best force with capability to operate in dimensions of warfare – air, land and sea.
- The commissioning of a new base to the Special Forces of the Indian Navy will play vital role to safeguard our nation’s interests.
- Captain Varun Singh will be the Commanding Officer of INS Karna.
- The Indian Armed Forces wanted to establish warfare and maritime special operations force. During the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
- Marine Commando Force (MCF) or MARCOS was raised as the Indian Marine Special Force (IMSF) in February 1987 at INS Abhimanyu in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- MARCOS capable of undertaking operations in all types of territory, but are specialized in marine operations.
- This unit has progressed in terms of manpower, equipment holding, infrastructure and other resources.
- Its establishment force has been established itself as Special Operations Force of international reputation.
- MARCOS successfully taken part in operations undertaken by the Indian Navy.
Operations undertaken by MARCOS:
- Operation Zabardast (Sri Lanka February 1993)
- Operation Leech (1998)
- Operation Tasha (1990 - 2009)
- Operation Sagittarius (anti-piracy operations in Malacca Strait)
- Operation Rahat
- Published on: July 13, 2016