Indian President Pranab Mukherjee appoints new Governors in six states [ Current News (Concise) ]
Indian President Pranab Mukherjee appointed Governors for six states, bringing down the number of governors who had been holding the additional charge of more than two sates for the past few months. According to the constitutional provisions of Governor Article 153, it says that there shall be Governor for each state. But 7th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1956 facilitated the appointment of the same person as a governor for two or more states.
Following are newly appointed Governors by President Pranab Mukherjee-
- Jharkhand- Droupadi Murmu, Former Odisha Minister has been appointed as Governor of Jharkhand. She will replace Dr Syed Ahmed.
- Manipur- Dr Syed Ahmed has been transfered to Manipur for remaining period of his term.
- Arunachal Pradesh- J P Rajkhowa was appointed as Governor of Arunachal Pradesh. He will replace Lt. General (Retd.) Nirbhay Sharma.
- Mizoram- Lt. General (Retd.) Nirbhay Sharma has been transferred and appointed as Governor of Mizoram for the remainder of his term.
- Tripura- Tathagata Roy will be the Governor of Tripura.
- Meghalaya- V. Shanmuganthan has been appointed as Meghalaya Governor.
- Published/Last Modified on: May 15, 2015