Indian Scientists Solve the Mystery of Preterm Birth [ Current News (Concise) ]
Indian scientists have achieved great millstone by solving the mystery of preterm births of child between 28 and 32 weeks of pregnancy. This discovery was must needed for India because India has 35% of highest ratio of preterm births in the world.
- Usually, a child birth after around 40 weeks, but in case of preterm births has gestation between 28 and 32 weeks.
Reasons of preterm birth
- According to the discovery of Indian researchers, gram-positive Group B Streptococcus (GBS) bacteria produce small balloons which are known as membrane vesicles.
- These membrane vesicles have toxins which destroy foetal and maternal cells both and also kill the collagen which binds the cells together.
- Generally, GBS bacteria are originate in human vagina and increases in in pregnant women, they are connected with rupture of amniotic membrane and preterm birth.
- Researchers have experimented on pregnant pests, and under this experiment they have injected vesicles into 15 pregnant pests.
- When these all pests gave birth to preterm babies, around 40% babies were born dead within two days of preterm (for human it is two months) whereas birth period for pets are 21 days.
- They were too small and unhealthy.
- The preterm babies needs more care because they are not ready to live in outside environment of mother’s womb and their bodies are not completely developed so they face problems in breathing and easily gets cold.
- Published on: September 8, 2016