Indian women wrestling team won silver medal in the Kazakhstan Presidential Cup [ Current News (Concise) ]
Indian women’s wrestling team has won the silver medal after finishing second in the fifth Senior International Wrestling Tournament which is also known as Cup of the President of Republic of Kazakhstan.The eight-member team bagged a silver medal at the July 23-26 event held in Kazakhstan’s capital Astana.
Members of this team:
- Teen sensation Vinesh (48kg)
- Lalita Sehrawat (55kg)
- Anita (63kg)
They create notable shows as they won all their attacks in their respective weight categories, while Sakshi Malik lost one fight in 58kg division to help the eight-member team bag a silver medal at the July 23-26 event.
The other members
- Nirmala Devi (53kg)
- Sarita (60kg)
- Navjot Kaur (69kg)
- Nikki (75kg)
The team received prize money of USD 10,000 and also a trophy and medals.
Other team got rank:
- Host country Kazakhstan bagged the top spot,
- Mangolia stable for the third position.
Other wrestler with their honoree achievements:
- First women wrestler in the history of Indian is Geetika Jakhar . She started training in wrestling at school because of encouragment of her grandfather and father. She won two medals at the Asian Games by 2014 , silver at 2006 and a bronze at 2014.
- Geeta Phogat is wrestler of India who won India’s first ever gold medal in women’s wrestling in the 55 kg freestyle category at the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
- Published/Last Modified on: July 29, 2015