International Day for Biological Diversity Observed on May 22 [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
International Biodiversity Day (IDB) is being observed every year on 22nd May across the world to encourage conservation and maintainable use of biodiversity. The theme of 2016 is “Mainstreaming Biodiversity; Sustaining People and their Livelihoods”.
- To step-up understanding and awareness about biodiversity issues.
- To make people aware about the status of biodiversity on the one hand and its extraordinary loss on the other.
- The theme highpoints the role of biodiversity behind development.
- The United Nations (UN) also has emphasized the significance of biodiversity as a significant cross-cutting matter in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Biodiversity refers to the variability of flora and fauna that make up the bionetwork.
- The protection of the bionetwork is spirited to natural balance and human presence.
- 22nd May was announced as the International Biodiversity Day by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) by accepting resolution 55/201 on 20 December 2000.
- And since then the day honors the acceptance of Agreed Text of the Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD) on 22 May 1992 by the Nairobi Final Act.
- 29 December was selected as International Biodiversity Day to commemorate adaptation of the CBD before the alteration of UNGA resolution.
- Published on: May 23, 2016