International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer is Being Observed on 16thSeptember Yearly [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
16th September is being celebrated as the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer annually across the world to aware peoples about the how Ozone Layer is getting harm by over activities and how to prevent it.
- The day is being observed to remark the date of 1987 on which the Montreal Protocol was signed on substances that deplete the ozone layer.
- “Ozone and climate: Restored by a world united” is the theme of 2016 which identifies the collective efforts of the parties to the Montreal Protocol and Vienna Convention towards the restoration of the ozone layer over the past three decades and the global commitment to combat climate change.
- 16 September was declared as the Preservation of the Ozone Layer on 19th December 1994 by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
What is Ozone Layer?
- The ozone layer is a section around the Earth which absorbs most of the Sun’s ultraviolet (UV) radiation which is causing skin cancer.
- It comprises high concentrations of ozone (O3) in connected other parts of the atmosphere.
- Stratospheric Ozone is not harmful, but its presence on land is harmful.
Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer
- It is an international pact intended to defend the ozone layer by phasing out production of numerous Ozone Depleting Substances (ODSs) that are accountable for ozone depletion which was agreed on 26 August 1987 in Montreal, Canada.
- Letter it was came in to force on 26 August 1989 and then first meeting was held in Helsinki, May 1989.
- This international agreement has helped a lot for recovering the ozone hole in Antarctica.
Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer
- Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer (one of the most successful agreements) is a Mutual Environmental Agreement which was approved in the 1985 at Vienna Conference and came into force in 1988.
- It was approved by 197 states (all UN members as well as the Niue, Holy See and the Cook Islands) along with European Union.
- It mainly works to protect the ozone layer.
- Published on: September 19, 2016