International Day of Peace Being Observed on 21st September [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
21st September is observed as the International Day of Peace across the world every year for firming up the ideals of peace, in peoples of all nations and within the nation.The International Day of Peace is celebrated to mark the efforts of those people who have struggled to end conflict and promote peace and it is also observed as a day of ceasefire.
- “The Sustainable Development Goals: Building Blocks for Peace” is the theme of 2016.
- It Headquarter is located in New York City.
- To celebrated this day UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon rung the United Nations Peace Bell at it’s headquarter and “Long live absolute world peace” has written on the bell.
- The bell was casted from the donated coins which were contributed by children from all continents except Africa.
- It was gifted by the United Nations Association of Japan in the memory of the human cost of war.
- The International Day of Peace was founded in 1981 by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) by passing resolution 36/67.
- This day is merged with its opening session of UNGA which is being held annually on the third Tuesday of September.
- Letter in 2001, UNGA designates the Day as a period of non-violence and cease-fire.
- Published on: September 21, 2016