International Day of Remembrance of Victims of Slavery and Transatlantic Slave Trade [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade 2015 was observed globally on 25 March 2015 and the theme of the year 2015 is Women and Slavery. Theme of the year 2015 declared to respects of the many women who suffered and died during the slave trade.
- On this occasion the United Nations (headquarters in New York) unveiled a permanent memorial for victims of transatlantic trade, named as Arc of Return.
- This celebration of this occasion, it reminds not only the gross injustice done to African slaves but also the successful journey of the UN in restoring their dignity by actively condemning the practice.
- The theme for the year 2014 of International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade was Victory over Slavery: Haiti and Beyond.
- The decision to observe the Remembrance Day was taken by the UN in its resolution 62/122 of 17 December 2007 and the resolution also called for the establishment of an outreach programme to mobilize educational institutions, civil society
- Published/Last Modified on: March 30, 2015