International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers Observed on 29th May [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
Sins 2002, 29th May is observed as the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers every year to honour the work of UN peacekeepers, the main reason behind observation of the Day is to Honour the memory of the UN peacekeepers that have lost their lives in the cause of peace.
- The day is aim to pay honor to all the men and women who have served and continue to serve in UN peacekeeping operations for their high level of professionalism, dedication and courage.
- “Honoring Our Heroes” is the theme of 2016.
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon headed a wreath-laying ceremony in honour of the approximately 3, 500 peacekeepers that have lost their lives while serving under the UN flag on this day.
- Six new stamps also has launched by the UN Postal Administration (UNPA) on this occasion.
- 29th May was selected as the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers by United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) by passing Resolution 57/129 in December 2002.
- The May 29 marks the anniversary of construction of United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) in 1948.
- It was founded to monitor the ceasefire after the Arab-Israeli War 1948, which was the first ever peacekeeping mission under the UN flag.
- After official request of the Ukrainian Peacekeepers Association and Government of Ukraine to the UNGA the day was being celebrated.
About UN Postal Administration:
- The United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA) is United Nations’ postal agency.
- It produces postage stamps and postal stationery, denominated in United States dollars for the United Nations offices in New York, Geneva and in euros (formerly schillings) for the offices in Vienna.
- Postage rates stimulate identity to those of the host nation.
About United Nations General Assembly:
- The (UNGA) is principal structures of the United Nations among six and single structure where all member nations have equal representation.
- The main work of UNGA:
- Oversee the budget of the United Nations
- Appoint the non-permanent members to the Security Council
- Receive reports from other parts of the United Nations
- Make recommendations in the form of General Assembly Resolutions
- It has also well-known subsidiary organs
- Published/Last Modified on: May 31, 2016