International Women’s Day 2015 observed on 8 March [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
International Women’s Day was observed across the world on 8 March 2015 and this day celebrates the achievements of women in the field of economic, political and social. The theme for the year 2015 is ” Make it Happen and it encourages effective action for advancing and recognizing women” by United Nations.
- First time, International Women’s Day celebrated in Austria, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland on 19 March.
- The second International Conference of Working Women was held in 2010 in Copenhagen and the idea of International Women’s Day was tabled by Clara Zetkin, the Leader of the ‘Women’s Office’ for the Social Democratic Party in Germany.
- United Nations designated 1975 as International Women’s Year.
- IWD is celebrated as official holiday in some countries in 2000. These countries are Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cuba, Georgia, Guinea-Bissau, Eritrea, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam and Zambia.
- Published on: March 12, 2015