June 26 is Observed as International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
June 26 is observed as The International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking to raise awareness of the major problem that illicit drugs and the day is also experiential as an expression of United Nations’ (UN) determination to strengthen action and collaboration to accomplish the goal of a global society free of drug abuse.
- “Listen First” is the theme of 2016.
- The theme is an imagination to upsurge support for inhibition of drug usage that is grounded on science.
- Its places of interest are the importance of operative asset in the well-being of children and youth, their families and their communities to fight problematic of illicit drugs.
- World Drug Report 2016 was also released by the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime (UNODC) on this occasion.
- Border Security Force (BSF) had prepared a Cycle Rally in Punjab comprising 65 BSF personnel in India.
- The cycle assemblage meant to extent the message of awareness in contradiction of drugs as a highest dedication to general security and awareness around physical fitness among the citizens and mainly among the youth.
- The day was formally inaugurated by UN after the United Nations general Assembly (UNGA) had accepted resolution 42/112 in December 1987.
- 26 June was selected to commemorate Lin Zexu’s hard work of dismantling of the opium trade in Guangdong, China just earlier the First Opium War in China (1839–42).
- Published on: June 28, 2016