Justice Cyriac Joseph appointed as acting Chairman of NHRC [ Current News (Concise) ]
Indian President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed Justice Cyriac Joseph as acting Chairman of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC). Justice Cyriac Joseph succeeds Justice K.G. Balakrishnan who completed his tenure and He will remain in office till new Chairman is appointed.
- At present, Justice Cyriac Joseph is member of NHRC. From 2008 to 2012, he hails from Kaiphuza village of Kottayam district in Kerala and was a Judge of the Supreme Court.
- On 11 May 2015, Justice K.G. Balakrishnan has completed his tenure as the sixth and the longest serving Chairman NHRC. In June 2010, Balakrishnan was appointed as Chairman of Commission after his retirement as the Chief Justice of India (CJI).
- During his tenure, Balakrishnan was instrumental in charting out several new initiatives towards promotion and protection of human rights in the country.
- From 2007 to 2010, Balakrishnan has served as CJI and was the first person of Dalit origin to ascend to post of the CJI in the Supreme Court of India.
- Published on: May 14, 2015