KV Thomas renominated as Chairman of Public Accounts Committee [ Current News (Concise) - Committees ]
Prof. Kuruppassery Varkey Thomas (KV Thomas) renominated as Chairman of Public Accounts Committee (PAC) Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan for a second term of one year. KV Thomas was first nominated as Public Accounts Committee (PAC) in August 2014 and he is the senior Congress Parliamentarian from Ernakulum Constituency, Kerala.
- Earlier, senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi was chairman of PAC for four consecutive years during 15th Lok Sabha from 2009-2014.
- Public Accounts Commission (PAC) is one of the most important finance committees in the Parliament along with the Committee on Estimates and the Committee on Public Undertakings. It is constituted every year and consists of 22 members – 15 from Lok Sabha and 7 from Rajya Sabha.
- Since 1967, the chairperson of the PAC appointed from the opposition party Public Accounts Commission (PAC) is also known as watch dog committee.
- PAC examines and auditing the report of CAG (comptroller and auditor general of India) and chairman of CAG is Sasikant Sharma.
- The key function of PAC is to examine annual audit reports of Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) after they are tabled in Parliament by President.
- Published/Last Modified on: May 14, 2015