Kalamandalam Sathyabhama, the Classical dancer passed away [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Kalamandalam Sathyabhama: Kalamandalam Sathyabhama who was the famous classical dancer is passed away in Palakkad district of Kerala at age of 77. Kalamandalam Sathyabhama was born in 1937 at Shoranur.
- She was an Indian classical dancer and also choreographer.
- She was popular in mohiniyattam.
- She was also the first woman Vice Principal of Kerala Kalamandalam and later she became its Principal till her retirement in 1992.
- Mohiniyattam is a classical dance form from Kerala, India.
- It is originated in 16th century CE.
- The term Mohiniyattam comes from the words “Mohini” means a woman who charms spectators and “aattam” means beautiful and affective body movements.
- Thus the word “Mohiniyattam” exactly means “dance of the enchantress”.
- It is one of the eight Indian classical dance forms recognized by the Sangeet Natak Akademi.
- It is a very graceful form of dance which is a single performance by women.
- She received Padma Shri award in 2014.
- She also received Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi Award in 1976.
- She also honoured with Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1994.
- She also got Kerala Government’s Nruthya Natya Puraskaram in 2005 and Kalamandalam Award in 1988.
- Published/Last Modified on: September 15, 2015