Kavalam Narayana Panicker Noted Malayalam Theatre Artist is No More [ Current News (Concise) ]
Noted Malayalam theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker is passed away at the age of 88 years due age-related ailments in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was dramatist, theatre director and poet. He had written over 26 Malayalam plays and had played a pioneering role in transporting idiom into Malayalam theater.
About Kavalam Narayana Panicker
- He was born on 28th April 1928 in Kavalam, Kerala.
- In 1955 he had started his career as a lawyer for six years and later devoted himself to art and literature.
- He had written over 26 Malayalam plays in his long career,
- Many of these were enhanced from classical Sanskrit drama and Shakespeare.
- His notable works is:
- Madhyamavyayogam (1979)
- Kalidasa’s Vikramorvasiyam (1981)
- Shakuntalam (1982)
- Karnabharam (1984)
- Bhasa’s Uru Bhangam (1988)
- Swapnavasavadattam and Dootavakyam (1996)
- He also had worked as director for two movies such as
- Parvati Viraham (1993) in Kuttiyattam based on Sanskrit theatre
- Mani Madhava Chakyar: The Master at Work in 1994
- He was the founder-director of theatre troupe, Sopanam.
- In 1961 he was selected as Secretary of Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi.
- In 1993 Erin B. Mee also had directed his play Ottayan in New York City.
- Awards and Honours:
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in Direction (1983)
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship (2002)
- Padma Bhushan (2007)
- Published/Last Modified on: June 28, 2016