Ken-Betwa Interlinking Project (Download PDF)

Doorsteptutor material for CLAT is prepared by world's top subject experts: fully solved questions with step-by-step explanation- practice your way to success.

Ken Betwa interlinking project is India՚s first river interlinking project which transfers water from surplus area in Madhya Pradesh to water deficient areas in Uttar Pradesh. It will help the Bundelkhand region of UP and MP. In the first phase, the project involves the construction of Daudhan dam on Ken River, it will build with 77 meters tall, 2km wide Dam and 230 km canal.

Ken-Betwa Interlinking Project

Project Preview

  • Ken and Betwa rivers are originated in MP and these are the tributaries of River Yamuna.
  • This project spreads in the district of MP and UP. Banda, Jhansi, Lalitpur and Mahoba districts of UP and Panna, Chhatarpur and Tikamgarh district of Madhya Pradesh.
  • Ken River meets Yamuna in the Bandi districts of UP and Betwa in Hamipur district of UP.
  • The dams which are built on the Betwa River are Rajghat, Paricha and Motatila.
  • The ken River passes through a Panna Tiger Reserve.

Project Benefits

  • It aims to transfer surplus water to water draught stricken Bundelkhand region.
  • It will help the farmers in agriculture.
  • Hydroelectricity production set up on the newly constructed dam will help in energy production.
  • Afforestation around the canal will help in to solve some of environment challenges.

Challenges

  • It is facing land encroachment in the state of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
  • It will affect the tiger conservation efforts.
  • It will submerge 10 % of critical Tiger habitat of Panna Tiger Reserve in MP.
  • It will displace the 20,000 people of Bundelkhand region and rehabilitation issues of people who displaced from the region.
  • Involves deforestation in Panna Tiger Reserve.

Inter Linkage of Rivers

Inter Linkage of Rivers
  • It maintains water imbalance in the country.
  • The distribution of annual rainfall in the country is not uniform some receive heavy rainfall and some receive less rainfall.
  • There is a demand supply gap in water the demand is not able to fulfill the supply of the water.
  • The demand for irrigation, industrial purpose and drinking purpose.
  • Interlinking of rivers will balance the supply gap.
  • India receives 80 % of the rain in the months from June to September through annual rainfall; the remaining 20 % rain is received in the rest of 8 months and that is insufficient for the Rabi crops.
  • Rabi crops are grown from October to March season.
  • Most of the areas in the country are water deficit.
  • Interlinking will solve the issues of water deficiency.

- Published/Last Modified on: December 20, 2019

Policy/Governance, Environment/Ecology, Govt. Schemes/Projects

Developed by: