Kerala Tourism’s Muziris Heritage Project Has Been Inaugurated by President Pranab Mukherjee [ Current News (Concise) ]
The first phase of Kerala Tourism’s Muziris Heritage Project (MHP) has been inaugurated by President Pranab Mukherjee at Trissur in Kerala to reinstate the historical and cultural significance Muziris.
- This is first green Project of Kerala Government and largest heritage conservation project of India.
- And in this regard President also has launched the website of the MHP.
- The Union Government is in the support of MHP and seeks to conserve early seaport of Muziris and showcase its culture of 3000 years.
- Kerala Tourism has launched the Spice Route initiative with the help of UNESCO to revive state’s historic trade ties with 41 countries of the world and this initiative will also play an important part in it.
About Ancient Muziris:
- Muziris was an earliest seaport and urban centre from at least the 1st century BC.
- It is located at the mouth of the Periyar River in Kerala.
- For trade and hub of the spice route in ancient times between southern India, Egyptians, Phoenicians, Greeks and Roman Empire on the other side it act as important center.
- The bardic Sangam literature and a number of classical European historical sources are describing historic significance of Muziris.
- Published on: March 1, 2016