Kosovo’s proposal for membership was rejected by the UNESCO members [ Current News (Concise) ]
About UNESCO: UNESCO stands for United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. Its purpose is to donate peace and security by promoting international partnership through education, science, and culture to further universal respect for justice, the rule of law and human rights with essential freedom declared in the United Nations Charter.
- It is the recipient of the League of Nations International Committee on Intelligent Co - operation.
- UNESCO has 195 member of states and nine associate members.
- Most of its field offices are “cluster” offices which covers three or more countries.
- It has also national and regional offices exist.
About the rejection to Kosovo’s membership proposal:
- According to UNESCO rules, for allowing any states’ membership, the support of two - thirds of UNJESCO’s member’s voting was required.
- Kosovo’s proposal got less than two - thirds of votes.
- Kosovo has been accepted by 111 countries so it declared independence from Serbia in 2008.
- Published/Last Modified on: November 23, 2015