LIGO Laboratory Going to Be Set Up at Hingoli, Maharashtra [ Current News (Concise) ]
LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory) first of this kind of laboratory in India is going to be set up soon in Aundh in Hingoli district of Maharashtra after research on existence of gravitational waves by scientists from Department of Science and Technology (DST).
This will be the first laboratory which is located out of United State, till now two such laboratories are located in Hanford, Washington and in Livingston, Louisiana.
- Aundh of Hingoli district, Maharashtra is selected for this LPGO laboratory site after research on existence of gravitational waves by scientists from Department of Science and Technology (DST) it is the best suited site because it carries four kms strips which is require for an unhindered straight and studying the lasers.
- LIGO-India laboratory will be formed as 8 km-long beam tube at ultra- high vaccum on a levelled terrain.
- This project will provide best opportunities in cutting edge technology for Indian industries for India.
- The project will carry record opportunities for scientists and engineers to excavations deeper into the dominion of gravitational wave and take global leadership in this new astronomical frontier.
- Previously the scientists from the National Science Foundation (NSF) of US and Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) of India and the DST have signed MoU for setting up LIGO laboratory in India during April 2016.
- Whereas, the Union Cabinet approved LIGO-India mega science proposal for research on gravitational waves in February 2016.
- Published/Last Modified on: September 12, 2016