Laureus World Sports Awards 2016 [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
The 2016 Laureus Sportsman of the Year Award is won by World No 1 tennis player Novak Djokovic from Serbia, for the second time after winning it in 2012. The 2016 Laureus Sportswoman of the Year Award is won by the US tennis star Serene Williams for the fourth time after winning in 2003, 2007 and 2010.
- The 2016 Laureus World Sports Awards ceremony for the first time was formed in Berlin, Germany.
- The awards are named as Oscar of the sports and are conferred to sportspersons in different categories.
2016 Laureus World Sports Awards
- Sportsman of the Year: Novak Djokovic (Tennis), Serbia.
- Sportswoman of the Year: Serena Williams (Tennis), United States.
- Team of the Year: New Zealand National Rugby team.
- Comeback of the Year: Dan Carter (Rugby), New Zealand.
- Breakthrough of the Year: Jordan Spieth (Golf), United States.
- Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability: Daniel Dias (Paralympic swimmer), Brazil.
- Action Sportsperson of the Year: Jan Frodeno (Triathelete), Germany.
- Sport for Good Award: Moving the Goalposts
- Laureus World Sports Lifetime Achievement Award: Niki Lauda (former Formula One racer), Austria.
- Spirit of Sport Award: Johan Cruyff (Football), Netherlands.
About Laureus World Sports Awards
- Laureus World Sports Awards is an annual award that honours amazing sportspersons (men and women) across the world of sport.
- It was formed in 1999 by the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation with Daimler and Richmond. And since that it is given by Laureus World Sports Academy
- The awards are presented in 7 different categories with the impending for additional discretionary Awards given.
- Awards include Laureus Statuette crafted by Cartier.
- The figure is symbol of the determined human form against an incised representation of the continents.
- Published on: April 20, 2016