Leader and former Speaker Hashim Abdul Halim passes away [ Current News (Concise) ]
Veteran CPI (M) leader and former Speaker of the West Bengal Assembly Hasim Abdul Halin passed away in Kolkata. He took his last breathe when was 80. He was the Speaker of the State Assembly for a the time of 29 years from 1982 to 2011.
- He was the longest serving Speaker of any Legislative Assembly in the country.
About Hashim Abdul Halim:
- He was born on 5 June 1935.
- He was enthusiast member of the Communist Party of India (Marxist).
- He was chosen for the first time to state assembly as an MLA in 1977.
- When the Left Front government (from 1977 and 1982) was led by Jyoti Basu, he had also served as the Minister of Judicial Affairs.
- He was elected as Speaker for first time in 1982.
- Subsequently then he remained as one during the rest of Left Front’s tenure that is in all its six terms till 2011.
- He has served in numerous departments and committees of West Bengal.
- He has also denoted West Bengal at frequent seminars in India and abroad.
- Published on: November 3, 2015