Lucknow zoo renamed after last Nawab Wajid Ali Shah [ Current News (Concise) ]
Uttar Pradesh Government Akhilesh Yadav renamed the Lucknow Prani Udyan which is popularly known as Lucknow zoo, as Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Prani Udyan, Lucknow. Nawab Wajid Ali Shah was the last Nawab of Oudh under whom the province was annexed by the British government under the policy of Doctrine of Lapse in 1856.
- Lucknow Zoo was established in 1921 and named after England’s Prince of Wales as Prince of Wales Zoological Gardens after renamed as Lucknow Prani Udyan on 4 June 2001.
- Besides, Uttar Pradesh government also renamed Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary of Unnao district as Shaheed Chandra Shekhar Azad Pakshi Vihar, Nawabganj.
- The decisions of renaming the zoo and bird sanctuary were taken at a cabinet meet chaired by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
- The sanctuary was named after revolutionary freedom fighter Chandra Shekhar Azad because of Azad’s parental ties with Unnao district.
- Chandra Shekhar Azad was born on 23 July 1906 in Alirajpur district in Madhya Pradesh but his father Sitaram Tiwari who was belonged to Badarka village in Unnao district.
- Published on: June 25, 2015