MGNREGA world’s largest public works programme: World Bank Report [ Current News (Concise) ]
World Bank has ranked the MNREGA (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act) as the world’s largest public works programme. It was released data by World Bank Group’s report titled ‘The State of Social Safety Nets 2015‘.
- This serve is need to improve the efficiency of social safety net programmes such as social and beneficiary registries by strengthening individual countries capacity to target, administer, integrate and evaluate social protection programmes in the all over counties.
- MGNREGA comes under Ministry of Rural Development which provides social security net to 182 million beneficiaries i.e. almost 15 per cent of the India’s population.
- Mid-day meal scheme comes under Ministry of Human Resource Development which has been classified as biggest school feeding programme. It benefits around 105 million beneficiaries.
- Janani Suraksha Yojana come Under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare which is top-most social security programme with conditional cash transfers. It has 78 million beneficiaries.
- Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme comes under Ministry of Rural Development which is the second-largest unconditional cash transfer social security programme in the world
- Five middle-income countries running the world’s largest social safety net programmes are India, China, South Africa and Ethiopia.
- The combined spending of 120 developing countries on social safety nets amounted to about 329 billion dollars from 2010 to 2014.
- Published/Last Modified on: July 10, 2015